Wednesday, November 24, 2010

10 Reasons To Be Thankful ... For a Wedding

Since today marked the last day that I will see my students before Thanksgiving, I took the opportunity to have them create thanksgiving centerpieces to put on their dinner tables tomorrow.  I realize that I teach high school students - and this may not sound like the typical, rigorous high school assignment - but I understand the importance of getting their creative juices flowing and offering them a break from their demanding core classes.  And besides, I myself love any chance for an art project (Exhibit A:  My June DIY Garden Party Wedding!).

On each centerpiece, the students were asked to write what they were thankful for.  (Numerous times - one reason they were thankful for each leave on the tree).  See below:

From http://www.orientaltrading.com/:  $4.99 for One Dozen
(Great Website for Affordable Crafts, Supplies, & Novelty Items)

The students had a hard time thinking of one reason why they were thankful this Thanksgiving - and thus, filling the entire tree was quite the feat.  It made me think about how much a few years of age & maturity will do for you ... at about 10 years their senior, my years since high school have helped me to realize how thankful I am for many reasons in my life.

I know that those closest to me already know how thankful I am for each of them.  So, on this thanksgiving eve, I thought I would write a list of the 10 reasons I am specifically thankful to be planning a wedding.  And here they are:

10.  A wedding provides an outlet for my creativity.
9.  A wedding gives me a reason for shop ... not only for a wedding gown ... but for a rehearsal dinner dress, a bridal shower dress, an outfit for the bachelorette party, bridesmaid lunch, and the list goes on.
(Although I am not sure if I needed a reason to shop?)
8.  A wedding has given me the chance to go through tons of old pictures from my childhood ... bringing back a flood of nostalgic memories.
7.  A wedding allows you to attend lots of tastings ... for cake (my favorite) & yummy food.
6.  A wedding has given me extra time to spend with my future family, through not only celebrations, but days of DIYing & lots of wedding meetings.
5.  A wedding ends with a honeymoon - is is time for that yet?
4.  A wedding will entail a dance with my dad.  And as a "daddy's little girl," I know this will moment will be a memorable one.
3.  A wedding has given me the opportunity to spend lots of extra time with my mom - who has made this experience so much better.  And I know I couldn't do it without her.
2.  A year and a half of wedding planning will be worth it in the end - when I walk down the aisle to Mr. BB.
1.  A wedding is how the story begins ... to your new life as husband & wife.

Happy Thanksgiving!  Enjoy precious time with your own loved ones.

1 comment: