Friday, August 27, 2010

DIY Friday

Perhaps the greatest perk of my job as a Fashion Marketing teacher (other than the satisfaction that I get from changing young people's lives ... one student at a time ... ) is the LUXURY of having my summers off.  And since this is the only summer that I will have planning for my June wedding, I have made it a goal to get as much done as possible!  Over the last couple of days, I HAVE gotten a lot done in the form of TWO DIY projects ...

1 - Homemade Apple Butter My mom's idea ... Each table at the wedding will have a picnic basket in the middle with that table's plates, silverware, napkins (wrapped in rafia), and a jar with apple butter for them to take home!  And since canned foods can last - we decided to knock it out now!  We used our crock pot recipe (cut apples, sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, all spice, and cloves) and after simmering all night, got to canning!  The house smells delicious and next we are going to decorate the jars!

2 - DIY Vintage Chalkboards Like many other DIY/vintage/fashion-inspired brides ... I plan on having various chalkbaords at the wedding that will list items such as the menu, guest book, signature drinks, esc. ... So rather than buy them (and where would you buy a vintage chalkboard?!!) ... we decided to make them ourselves!  My mom found a bunch of old frames at a local thrift store, we spray painted them all white, had Mr. Burgundy Bride cut masonite board to put inside, and painted two coats of chalkboard paint on.  SUPER excited about the final result!  Pictures to come ...

It feels good to get things done (OURSELVES ... and for cheap!) and to feel like we are progressing towards our final goal:  the wedding!  What DIY projects can you do in advance to the wedding to free up some time for other tasks closer to your big day?!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment